Blog post #2- Angelie Sagastume
The person I chose to use as my changemaker was Harriet Tubman. At first glance, it's pretty apparent we know general knowledge of the woman who helped others and herself gain freedom. I had known that she escaped slavery and created the Underground Railroad. But after doing more research, I realized her story was a lot more remarkable and in-depth than I could have imagined. Tubman was an incredibly influential leader that had directly and indirectly impacted the future of the constitution in several ways. Learning about this strong woman had become my favorite part of the entire project because I had understood that her determination and impact on American society had continued to influence the nation to this very day. One of the things I enjoyed researching the most was the amount of self-sacrifice she continuously made. After being one of the first people to escape by herself she chose to go back because she believed everyone deserved a chance at freedom. Her sacrifice and commitement was a prime example of how her selfless actions live in equality. Reading through this helped me understand why she is considered a changemaker in both history and how her actions lead up to a massive change in the constitution.
As I continued my research, I learned that her actions impacted beyond the Underground Railroad. Harriet Tubman was a positive influence and pulled a lot of weight during the Civil War such as working as a nurse. Her work was so noble and she proved her consistancy, they put her to work as a spy, and scout for the Union Army. The Union was heavily strengthened during the war and she supported the fight against slavery. I haden't realized the incredible role she played as a major historical figure and the weight she carried while being both an advocate and a worker.One of the most interesting points mentioned in her legacy was her direct and indirect impact on the constitution. I truly believe that if she haden't sacrificed a fraction of herself the constitution would not have changed so drastically. Although she had not served directly in any form of government or write any laws, her actions and advocacy was enough to contribute to major changes. Her direct impact is shown through abolition, the way she helped hundreds of people escape, and her support towards the Union during the war. She contributed so much that her efforts led to ratifying the 13th amendment which abolished slavery overall and broadened freedom for thousands of people and those who were being abused and opressed.
Along with this information I learned she had also been apart of the women's suffrage movement long after the war had ended. She worked with leaders who had fought for the same ideals and morals- equal oppurtunity and the ability to vote. She kept her voice loud until eventually the 19th amendement was granted. Women had the right to vote and this was a prime exmaple in Tubman's heavy impact.
After learning all this powerful information I was able to put my findings into the project and one of my favorite parts was working with my group again. Because although everyone has different schedules, at this point we have an understanding that we will pull through at the end. Everyone contributes idea to the final goal and presentation while completing their own work. Coming together to agree on slides and final touches is usually the most engaging part of the group project. Teamwork always makes the load less stressful when we all cooperate and give our opinions. I tend to learn a lot about communication skills and engagement. Seeing each person give an overview of their historical figure and their impact reminded me that it is crucial to understand the importance of basic history. While everyone prepared for the presentation I noticed how each person made their part meaningful and tied to the main goal. I was reminded that history is all connected to larger movements and a bigger story. Today's society is heavily impacted through these movements. Thankfully, all the researching allowed my presentstion to be a smooth experience. I think I had spent so much time understanding her story from several perspectives such as a constitutional one, I felt fully confident in my ability to present her accomplishments throughout her timeline.
Watching other presentations made me think about the many historical figures we covered are connected to the same outcome. All had the similar goal to improve their society at the time such as through their personal leadership or a direct shift using their personal connections. This worked through leadership or public speaking. This was incredibly relevant to the presentation considering it showed almost like a sequence or progression through each changemaker. I especially enjoyed how this timeline included the Civil War and Reconstruction that changed the lives of those working at the time. It showed how the situation will always weigh on someone's mental and physical health but persistance is key to a succesful future. I had a deeper appreciation for the sacrifices Harriet Tubman faced her significance. Connecting every story allowed me to see these changemakers from a different perspective. The visuals and graphs were a captivating touch that helped us understand why each event held importance. The material made more sense and appealed visual learners with the timelines provided. It was easier to remember and digest from a viewers perspective. Other groups also had similar layouts and graphs, which I believe was an enjoyable part of the process considering it was a similar idea.
In conclusion, I think this was one of the most effective and enjoyable history projects I have done in a while, as I was able to see how one person can make a difference in society through sheer devotion and fearless leadership. Her direct and indirect impact on our amendments is courages. She proved that anyone can make a difference starting out with nothing. And collaborating with my group allowed me to refresh important information.
Very nice reflection of your changemaker.
ReplyDelete